Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nouvelles week-end




On Friday a relation of my host family visited from Germany for dinner and it was a really great chance for me to hear them discussing politics and philosophy. Very quickly it became a question of the differences between the sexes, a doorstep for strong views, and incomprehensibly fast speaking. In class I learned a euphemism for interminable disputes which is "Il y a de l'eau dans le gaz", comparing it to the physical phenomenon which changes the color of the flame and recalls the sound of an approaching explosion.

On Saturday the weather finally picked up and I took a shopping tour of the city. We passed a group of bachelors in the street wearing matching homemade t-shirts and my host mom told me they were honoring a pre-marriage tradition where the men and the women are split into teams and the bride and groom dress in a ridiculous costume and have a mission to complete. We were lucky enough to witness a sexy bunny, in the case of the groom having to persuade women to kiss him. I don't doubt there is something like this in the U.S. nowadays but I've never heard of it!

 I brought home this fish ring from Bijou Brigitte. Too cool.